Accounting Lead/Bookkeeper, Urban Greens Food Co-op, Providence, RI
Urban Greens Food Co-op, a consumer-owned grocery store located in Providence, RI, seeks a skilled Accounting Lead/Bookkeeper to maintain our financial records which includes purchases, sales, accounts payable & receivable, various auditing and supervisory functions including inventory management and payroll processing.
The individual in this role will work closely with the General Manager to create and analyze financial reports and ensure we meet all legal and statutory requirements. They will process accounts payable and receivable and manage invoices and tax payments. Our ideal candidate has a min of 10 years’ experience in retail perishable food operations as a department head or higher. The successful candidate must have a proven track record of managing labor, sales and purchasing with a strong overall knowledge of supermarket operations. The ideal candidate would have new store opening experience and hold a Finance degree (preferably followed by accounting CPE courses). They would be proficient in Microsoft Office, QuickBooks and the ECRS POS operating system.
A requirement of this role is to ensure the accurate recording of all day-to-day financial transactions. This includes “invoice coding” and requires a thorough understanding of the products we sell and departments within our Co-op so that sales and expenses are properly allocated. This person will need to communicate formatted, financial information in a timely manner to a variety of stakeholders both internal and external to our Co-op. Some of these reports will include such subjects as inventory turns, labor and purchasing budgets, shrink analysis, sales projections, and budget alignment. The person who secures this role must be able to maintain a supportive and approachable demeanor when interacting with customers, member/owners, co-workers and vendors.
- Proven bookkeeping experience
- Solid understanding of basic bookkeeping and accounting payable/receivable principles
- Proven ability to calculate, post and manage accounting figures and financial records
- Data entry skills along with a knack for numbers
- Hands-on experience with spreadsheets and proprietary software
- Proficiency in English and in MS Office
- Customer service orientation and negotiation skills
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- BS degree in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration
- Public speaking and presentation skills
- An ability to coach and mentor others toward retail financial proficiency
- Auditing and reporting on cash handling
- The ability to review and sort through invoicing to ensure proper allocation of expenses
- Record day to day financial transactions and maintain accurate data in the financial system. . Verify that transactions are properly recorded in all journal and ledgers.
- Process accounts receivable and accounts payable in a timeline manner, working with GM on cash management
- Process weekly payroll
- Complete tax forms
- Work with accountants to ensure reconciliations are performed in a timely manner and that financial reports are accurate.
- Prepare reports and financial statements
- Support the mission of Urban Greens Co-op Market
- Coach and Mentor buyers and team leaders on retail finance management
Salary & Hours
- Hourly position
- Range: $20-$25 /hr.
- 35-40 hrs. wkly…must be available to work weekends, holidays and evenings as needed
About Urban Greens & Providence, RI
Urban Greens Food Co-op is a vibrant startup with the ultimate goal of increasing access to healthy and affordable food for the Providence community and strengthening the local food system in Rhode Island. We are excited to serve an incredibly diverse and food conscious city and state. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
- 8000 sq ft footprint: 4900 sq ft retail
- $3 million projected year 1 sales
- Anchor tenant in mixed-use development
- Rhode Island Tax credit support
- 1300+ current members-owners
As an equal opportunity employer, Urban Greens Food Co-op strongly encourages individuals from traditionally underrepresented demographics to apply.
Please send a resume with cover letter to email@example.com. The deadline for applying is 1/29/20.