Eating seasonally and locally in the winter time - Roasted Beets Recipe
As a part of an “eat locally and seasonally in the winter time” recipe series, I would like to introduce a Roasted Beets recipe. Beets are one of the winter vegetables that are available mostly through fall and winter time. This is a simple recipe that is perfect as a side dish, and also easy to make. If you are lucky and your beets came with greens, they are edible as well! You can cut them up and sauté them like spinach. They taste kind of like spinach too.
- serves 4 -
4x medium size beets (3x large)
1 clove garlic crushed
1 Tbs dried marjoram
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 400˚F
1. Dice the beets into 1” pieces
2. Place beets in a casserole dish with a lid
3. Sprinkle marjoram, crushed garlic on top of the beets, then pour balsamic vinegar and olive oil over it. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Put the casserole lid on and bake for 1 hour
Sautéed Beet Greens
1. Slice the beet stems and cut the leaves into 1”-2” size lengths.
2. Sauté the stems first for a couple of minutes, then add leaves to the pan. Season with salt and pepper.
3. When it is done, squeeze about 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice over them.
- Toyoko Schieferdecker - volunteer blogger, member-owner