[Recipe] Vegan Four Grain Vegetable Bowl
I am issuing a Grain Challenge for 2017! Dare to cook one alternative grain per month. This recipe alone has FOUR! You can make this dish vegetarian by using regular cheese or even non-vegetarian by adding ground beef or chicken. Any way you cook it this recipe is filling, delicious and healthy.
Vegan Four Grain Vegetable Bowl
A Vegetarian sweet spiced Grain and Bean Bowl
o 1 15 oz. can(s) black beans, (drained & rinsed)
o 1 tablespoon(s) oil
o 3/4 cup(s) carrot, diced fine
o 3/4 cup(s) leek, diced fine
o 3/4 cup(s) onion, diced fine
o 1/2 cup(s) celery, diced fine
o 3 1/4 cup(s) vegetable broth, (or more if needed)(divided use)
o 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
o 1/2 teaspoon(s) cumin, ground
o 1/2 teaspoon(s) coriander, ground
o 1/2 teaspoon(s) cinnamon, ground
o 2 garlic cloves, minced
o 1/2 cup(s) brown rice
o 1/2 cup(s) lentils, dried
o 1/4 cup(s) barley, uncooked
o 1/4 cup(s) raisins
o 1/8 teaspoon(s) salt
o 1/8 teaspoon(s) pepper
o 1 cup(s) tomato, diced
o 1/3 cup(s) cheese, vegan
1. Cook the brown rice in water and salt as directed. Cool and set aside.
2. Boil the barley in enough vegetable stock (1 1/2 - 2 cups) until the barley is cooked, puffed, and tender. This could take an hour or more. Cool and set aside.
3. Sweat carrots through celery in Dutch oven for 10 minutes over medium heat.. (Place 1/4 cup vegetable stock, then the celery, then the carrots, cover and cook. Do not stir.)
4. Add the oil and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Then add the leeks, onions, vegetable broth (1 1/2 cups), chili powder, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, garlic, lentils, raisins, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, simmer until the lentils are cooked. Add the beans and tomatoes, heat 2 minutes, then remove from heat and let cool. Add the rice and barley. Mix gently.
5. Add the cheese and enjoy!
About My Chef Lara
My Chef Lara is comprised of two chefs who believe that wellness starts with the food we eat. Cooking and eating for your health is within everyone's reach and we are here to educate people that they can achieve their wellness goals and still enjoy what they eat.
My Chef Lara comes into your home, cooks about a month worth of meals to your specifications, packages them and put them into your refrigerator and freezer for you to eat at your convenience. Our model of cooking many meals at once makes our services affordable and our customization allows you to reach whatever goals or needs you desire.